McKenzies Compounding Chemist is your best choice for Veterinary Compounding in Mt Lawley, Australia. We offer a full range of customised options for the furry, feathered, and scaled members of your family. We create medications that practically and effectively help you to better administer prescribed medications to your animals. A little creative chemistry can turn a dreaded medicine time into a fun and enjoyable bonding experience for you and your pet.
Ask us how we can help turn pill time into play time today!
What is Veterinary Compounding?
Veterinary compounding is a specialised service that involves customising medications for animals. Compounding allows veterinarians to create medications that are tailored to meet the specific needs of individual animals. The process involves combining, mixing, or altering existing medications to create a customised dose or form of medication.
What kind of pet medications can be compounded?
Some examples of veterinary compounded medications include flavoured liquids, transdermal gels, ear gels, and medicated chews.
There are several reasons why veterinary compounding is helpful for animals. Here are some of them:
- Unique Dosages: Some animals require medications that are not available in standard dosages. With veterinary compounding, medications can be customised to a specific dosage for the animal’s size and weight.
- Flavour Preferences: Often, animals have a hard time taking medications because of their taste. With veterinary compounding, medications can be flavoured to make them more palatable for the animal.
- Allergies: Some animals may be allergic to certain ingredients in medications. With veterinary compounding, medications can be formulated without those ingredients, making it easier for the animal to take.
- Ease of Administration: Ear drops are one example of a medication that can be very difficult to administer. It can be traumatic for the dog and the owner! We replace the need for ear drops with a customised poloxamer ear gel. This is a base that adheres to the ear canal which ensures extended exposure to the required medication. Your vet determines the medication after an ear swab which is then incorporated into the base. It only requires a one off application by your vet eliminating the need to administer ear drops multiple times a day. Occasionally this might need to be repeated in a week by the vet, simple, easy and your dog won’t hate you!!
Improving Animal Care with Compounding
By utilising veterinary compounding, veterinarians can provide the best possible care for their animal patients. Compounding pharmacies that specialise in veterinary medications work closely with veterinarians to ensure that the medications they create are safe, effective, and meet the specific needs of the animal in question
“Marley is a 15 year old miniature schnauzer who gets a meloxicam suspension in a yummy chicken flavour specially compounded for her arthritis. Her pain is a lot more manageable now and her daily walks have become enjoyable again.”
Working closely with a pet owner and veterinarian, a compounding pharmacist may assist in the treatment of animals by providing unique dosage forms of medication such as transdermal treatment and improving the taste and texture of oral medications to suit a particular animal. There’s beef, cheese, chicken and liver for dogs and cats. Horses prefer alfalfa, cherry, apple, carrot and molasses.
Veterinary compounding can provide treatments and more effective methods of administration for creatures of all sizes and temperaments. Vet compounding allows for custom dosage forms that may suit each pet’s particular preferences. A veterinary compounding chemist combines good quality pharmaceutical ingredients to create specific formulations, delivery systems and dosages of veterinary medications.
Common applications of Veterinary Compounding
At McKenzies Compounding Chemist, our pharmacists are specially trained in veterinary compounding. We have created thousands of custom medicines for our veterinary clients, each custom tailored to the needs and desires of the individual animal. Some applications include the following:
- Sugar-free medications for diabetic pets
- Transdermal gels as an alternative delivery system
- Hard-to-find medications for urinary incontinence
- Flavoured antibiotic suspensions.
- Anti-Diarrhea medications
- Anti-Seizure liquids and capsules
- Anti-Fungal suspensions
- Discontinued medications
- Sugar-free formulations
- Motion sickness treatments
- Topical powders
- Combination medications
- Medicated biscuits/treats
- Chewable flavoured troches
- Oral suspensions and pastes
- Rectal suppositories
- Individualised concentrated doses
If you think veterinary compounding could be a good solution for your pet or animal, contact our pharmacy today for a consultation!
Ordering Your Prescription
Call us at (08) 9272 8726 or Submit your Prescription Online
If you have any queries about compounding or require any product samples, please feel free to contact any one of our compounding pharmacists on
(08) 9272 8726.
We are committed to providing high-quality, personalised medication solutions to meet the unique needs of each patient.